GI Bill

Qualifying GI Bills:

Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30) – any Active Duty members enroll and pay $100 per month for 12 months; and are then entitled to receive a monthly education benefit once they have completed a minimum service obligation.

Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 1606) – a reservist must be actively drilling and have a 6-year obligation in the Selected Reserve to be eligible. The Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 1606).

Post 9/11 (Chapter 33) – provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Reserve Educational Assistance ((REAP) Chapter 1607) – Dependents Educational Assistance Program is designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress. This program makes certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001 either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits.

Survivors & Dependents Assistance (DEA Chapter 35) – provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training.

Admission Requirements:

When using any GI Bill benefit to enroll into any program offered by Alamo City Barber College, the following are required:

  • 2 letters of recommendation (from a non-relative)
  • Driver’s license, state issued photo ID, or valid passport
  • Students must also be able to provide proof of appropriate educational requirement such as;
    • Copy of high school diploma
    • Copy of high school transcript showing graduation date. (Note: The high school diploma or transcript requirement can also be from a foreign school if it is equivalent to a US high school diploma; Documentation of proof of completion of secondary education from a foreign country must be officially translated into English and officially certified as the equivalent of high school completion in the United States.)
    • Copy of GED certificate OR
    • Have a recognized equivalent of High School Diploma such as a home-schooled certificate by the state where the student resided during home school. Must have completed homeschooling at the secondary level as defined by state law. (Note: Due to the passage of Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2012, students who do not have a high school diploma or equivalent and did not complete secondary school in a home-school setting can no longer gain eligibility for Title IV funds by passing an “ability-to-benefit” test.)
  • Successfully pass a drug test (at a vendor recommended by Alamo City Barber College) at a cost of $55 (to be paid to Alamo City Barber College). If we have not received the results of your drug test within 72 hours of your initial visit to Alamo City Barber College, your application will not be processed and you will be prevented from enrolling in for a minimum of 3 months.